Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Winds Of Change

Four weeks ago I pulled my metaphorical drawbridge up around me. I had to do some big-time soul searching & as is my way, had to do it alone. Today I've let it down again, & since early this morning, a lot of lovely people have been pounding across it for hugs & kisses!!

I received an approach by another Company when I was least expecting it. At first I wasn't interested, but they persisted. There were many things to consider:


  • It was not with my traditional client base, a beautiful group of loyal & wonderful people who I have 21 years history with.

  • It was not in the area of Interventional Radiology/Cardiology that I have an enduring & all encompassing passion for.

  • It was back to full-time work after a glorious 4 years of part-time (read as 'How was MOTH going to cope with having to wield the vacuum cleaner again on weekends?!')

  • At 55 did I want to subject myself to enormous change?

  • Could I say goodbye to the best group of colleagues I've ever worked with?

So I've paced the floor many times at 3a.m. this past month, I've done my due diligence on the Company, I've researched the client group & the products & I've chewed my top lip to shreds.


Then over the Easter weekend I plonked down in front of the computer to enjoy a leisurely read of Janell's wonderful new ezine House Of Fifty. And there it was staring right at me on the 50 Ideas page - 'It is rarely too late to start something new.' It was about as close to an epiphany as I'll ever have.

So as the beautiful Catherine was walking down the aisle to meet her Prince on Friday evening, I was sitting in front of the fire at home fielding a zillion calls & negotiating my future. As the 'I do's' were said, the last offer came through. It was as they say, too good to refuse. I accepted & immediately summoned MOTH home from the Pub.

I resigned yesterday & it was just the hardest thing to do. I've spent all morning on the phone with my surprised colleagues. I've got time to finalize the things I need to, & time to say my goodbyes to my clients properly. MOTH & I then head off on our Big Vacation & I start my new job when we get back. I'm going to work in the field of Oncology cytotoxics & their associated therapeutic devices.

So there it is, all out in the open & I feel great relief. The impact of still being wanted so desperately in the work place at 55 is not lost on me & I'm grateful. I'm so glad I can now share it with you dear Hedgies.


Photobucket

34 comments:

  1. Oh what wonderfully inspiring stuff Millie. A new job is such an exciting adventure, and even more so when it was unexpected.

    Congratulations and I hope you truly treasure your little break in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heres to embracing change!(insert me raising my glass for a toast) Im excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Remember 55 is what you are not who you are. I would bet money that the 35's have to run to keep up with you. My other thought is "am older than everyone?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the new and exciting direction that you have ahead of you look forward to reading about your new Adventures all the best from Jacki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh huge congratulations to you Millie.
    I am so happy for you with you starting the next chapter of your life.
    You must be getting excited with the vacation coming up and then the new job.
    Best wishes and hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Millie, I hope the new job is fantastic and opens many new doors. It is amazing how such lovely things can happen when you least expect them.

    I look forward to the comedic posts as Moth copes with sharing the housework.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Congratulations Millie. I hate that decision making time. Once the decision is made (no matter what decision it is) life seems to be so much easier to deal with. Enjoy the last few weeks at the "old" job and I know you'll tackle the new one with the usual Millie Gusto.

    Jennifer xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Millie....facing change and being flexible is what it's all about......I am very excited for you and know that you will embrace this new position with everything you have....xv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your big decision - it sounded really hard but you sound so positive and ready for the challenge. I really love that bit about being wanted in the workplace at said age. Fantastic. Maybe you will need to leave the vacuum strategically out somewhere where your MOTH will find it.... until it becomes routine for him. Tee hee...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratu;ations Millie
    A change is as good as a holiday.Us 55+ have alot to offer.
    Kind Regards
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone - hope it's amazing! Tracey xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Millie, I'm so delighted for you! That you opted for change, that you are so flatteringly sought after, and that you sound so happy yourself. Well done, and may your optimism and energy carry you steadily along in the new role.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done Millie that is big. Gee to think I have been agonising over whether or not to do an extra 5 hours per week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Millie! Wonderful news! Good on you for taking the leap into something new :: you are very inspiring and your new company is very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh wow! Good for you. I am so sure you have made the right decision. My mum did this recently (medical field too) and whilst the new role is challenging she hasn't looked back. All the best for your new adventure! Letitia xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Change is hard and bittersweet, but something tells me you are going to love the change. And the new clients will certainly love you, Millie! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW Millie what a huge decision, good on you! A new adventure to challenge your mind.
    Good Luck & i hope you enjoy every moment of your new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How exciting!! Congratulations Milly!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on making the big jump! I'm in the nuclear medicine field myself (academic side of things) - and I can honestly say I never see myself leaving the health care field. I may side step to another modality, but leaving the field in general would be out of the question for me. Enjoy this new path you've found yourself on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Millie, I am so happy and excited for you! Such a good news story and so nice to hear. My congratulations to you on a job well done on the negotiating front...now I am off to have a look at the House of Fifty!

    Best wishes Millie...

    Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for new adventures!! It's a gut wrenching feeling, leaving the familiarity & the friends and the happy memories- but here's a big, awesome opportunity to head to something even better!! Good luck for the last few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Millie ~ hope you don't mind me linking to this post on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes she should mind because it brought me here
    Now that is something to fear
    Good luck with the career change
    It sounds to be quite the rearrange
    But don't know until you try
    That is all from this rhyming guy

    ReplyDelete
  24. congratulations millie! how wonderful for you. those decisions are always so hard to make. so great that you're taking the leap. pam

    ReplyDelete
  25. You go girl! Your new employers are very lucky and I hope that the new challenge makes life all the more interesting and exciting for you.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations Millie - how incredibly exciting for you. You summoned your inner Warrior Princess and took up the sword of change. You go girl! As always...an inspiration. Meredy xo.

    p.s. is MOTH going to cope??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Millie! I am so delighted for you. It was meant to be. Enjoy all that's about to unfold. J x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, Millie - that's huge news, many congratulations!!! So pleased for you :)

    That must have been a massive decision to make, you have always sounded as though you really love your current job. Very exciting though to be head-hunted and to be moving on to pastures new.

    Off to read House of Fifty and find some inspiration!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. omg!!!!
    is this weird???
    congratulations.
    i think this is going to be fantastic for you my lovely!!

    love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations on the new job offer, and the adventure yet to begin.

    You're never too old to start something new - I never went to college, so last fall, I started in college at almost 49 years old.

    I hope you settle in quickly at your new place of business!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Millie, well done you are amazing! The starting of anything new is always the scariest and most testing time, but before you know it you will be flying!

    Vanya xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Millie,

    I know how daunting it can be to find the courage in yourself to leave the safe and comfortable and the familiar behind in order to embark upon the unknown. I am not a natural risk taker, so I admire you all the more for taking the leap. I hope this proves to be a wonderful and exciting path for your future (as well as a chance for MOTH to become even more acquainted with his inner domestic spirit).

    David.x

    ReplyDelete
  33. whoa! I don't visit the hedge for a couple of days and look what happens. a HUGE congratulations on making such a brave move. You are an absolute inspiration. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm late to this party, but congratulations on the new job. May it be a wonderful experience for you. xx

    ReplyDelete

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?
~W.H. Auden

Related Posts with Thumbnails